CT recently passed legislation that included a Child Tax Rebate. The rebate is $250 per child (up to 3 children) for qualifying CT residents. To qualify for the rebate, you must meet the following requirements:
- You must be a resident of Connecticut at the time of your application;
- You must have claimed at least one child as a dependent on your 2021 federal income tax return who was 18 years of age or younger as of 12/31/2021; and
- You must meet certain income thresholds.
The income thresholds are based on your filing status and Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your 2021 federal income tax return. To get the full rebate of $250 per child, your AGI must be equal to or lower than:
- Single or Married Filing Separately $100,000
- Head of Household $160,000
- Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widower $200,000
There is a partial rebate available for taxpayers whose AGI is greater than the limits above but not by more than $10,000:
- Single or Married Filing Separately $100,001 to $110,000
- Head of Household $160,001 to $170,000
- Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widower $200,001 to $210,000
If you AGI exceeds these limits, you do not qualify for any rebate.
The application for the rebate is available online (link: 2022 CT Child Tax Rebate Application) from June 1, 2022 through July 31, 2022. Please note: the only way to get the rebate is via the online application. Applications will not be accepted via phone or paper. If you do not apply online during the 2-month time frame, you will not be able to get the rebate. While the rebate name includes “tax” there will not be a “true-up” on your tax return to claim any missed credits. If you have not filed your 2021 federal income tax return yet, you will need to file prior to July 31, 2022 in order to apply for the rebate.
The information needed to complete the application includes:
- Your full name and social security (and that of your spouse, if you filed as Married Filing Joint on 2021 federal income tax return);
- Your address, phone number and email address;
- Your federal adjusted gross income from your 2021 federal income tax return;
- Your filing status from your 2021 federal income tax return; and
- The full name, date of birth, social security number, and relationship to you of each child who was 18 years of age or younger (up to a maximum of three) you claimed as a dependent on your 2021 federal income tax return.
Once you complete the application, you will be provided with a Tracking #. Please make note or keep a copy of that number!
Rebates will go out by check to the address listed on the application and are expected to begin to be sent in late August.
For more information, visit the CT DRS website at https://portal.ct.gov/DRS/Credit-Programs/Child-Tax-Rebate/Overview.